Moderately Difficult radio_button_checked radio_button_checked radio_button_checked radio_button_checked radio_button_unchecked
- Text Writer: Carol Mc,Clure
- Vocal Part(s): Unison, with opt. 2nd pt. (descant)
- Vocal Range: B-g sharp’
- Key: E major
- Meter: 3/4
- Accompanying Instruments: Piano (or organ)
This recording is of the SATB version and was recorded and produced by Chorale 21, Korea (in Korean) and is used by kind permission.
Target Age Group: Grades 3-6
Description: The Shepherds is a sweet, charming anthem with beautifully crafted melodic lines (reminiscent of the work of John Rutter) fashioned by Hyun Kook. The whimsical text by Carol McClure is written for use during Christmas. The difficulty level rating is based on the length of the melodic phrases and the octave and a sixth range required for the performance of the anthem.
- bars 4-5: “So hush’d the night” (singing over the vocal break)
- bar 10, beats 1-2: “star” (accurate tuning of descending minor 3rd)
- bar 11-12: “rouse their flocks from sleep” (pitch accuracy)
- Rhythm/Meter: Holding dotted quarter notes for full value
- Vocal Production: Sustaining a lovely unified tone on lower pitches
- Musical Understanding: Performing 4-bar melodic/rhythmic phrases; singing long lines; shaping phrases
- Tuning: Singing intervals accurately
- Music Exploration: Learning about what’s happening chorally in Korea (Dr. Kook’s home)
- Music History Exploration: Listening to/watching a variety of performances by Korean choirs on You Tube or DVD or CD
Want to download sheet music & see the whole preview?
We can't give away the farm! To gain full access to the music catalog, become a subscriber! Sign Up