- Anthem: Angelic Invitation
- Text Source: Shaker, adapted
- Tune Source: Shaker
- Worship Use: Christmas
- Vocal Part(s): Unison, with opt. 2nd pt., in canon
- Vocal Range: d’e’
- Key: G major
- Meter: 2/4
- Accompanying Instruments: Violoncello and piano (or harp)
Target Age Group: Grades 3-6 (with option of K-2 joining in singing the refrain)
Description: Angelic Invitation is a spirited, easily remembered anthem culminating in a canonical refrain. One of six Shaker source anthems offered in the Viva Voce 2011-2012 curriculum, this anthem provides an opportunity for younger children to join with the older children on the refrain.
- bars 5-6: “singing ‘Alleluia’ ” - intervallic tuning: ascending minor 3rd, descending perfect 4th, ascending major 2nd, descending major 3rd
- bars 29-41: intervallic tuning of canonical refrain
- Rhythm/Meter: Executing exact performance of dotted 8th note/16th note rhythm patterns; executing a dance-like feel in 2/4, not over-emphasizing the second beat of each bar.
- Intervallic Tuning: Tuning melodic ascending and descending fourths and tuning harmonic intervals between the two parts of the canonical refrain.
- Music History: Learning about early Shaker tunes and texts.
- Music History/Style Exploration: Listening to/watching a variety of choral performances of Shaker music.
Want to download sheet music & see the whole preview?
We can't give away the farm! To gain full access to the music catalog, become a subscriber! Sign Up