- Anthem: Angelic Invitation
- Text Source: Shaker, adapted
- Tune Source: Shaker
- Worship Use: Christmas
- Vocal Part(s): Unison, with opt. 2nd pt., in canon
- Vocal Range: d’e’
- Key: G major
- Meter: 2/4
- Accompanying Instruments: Violoncello and piano (or harp)
Target Age Group: Grades 3-6 (with option of K-2 joining in singing the refrain)
Description: Angelic Invitation is a spirited, easily remembered anthem culminating in a canonical refrain. One of six Shaker source anthems offered in the Viva Voce 2011-2012 curriculum, this anthem provides an opportunity for younger children to join with the older children on the refrain.
- bars 5-6: “singing ‘Alleluia’ ” - intervallic tuning: ascending minor 3rd, descending perfect 4th, ascending major 2nd, descending major 3rd
- bars 29-41: intervallic tuning of canonical refrain
- Rhythm/Meter: Executing exact performance of dotted 8th note/16th note rhythm patterns; executing a dance-like feel in 2/4, not over-emphasizing the second beat of each bar.
- Intervallic Tuning: Tuning melodic ascending and descending fourths and tuning harmonic intervals between the two parts of the canonical refrain.
- Music History: Learning about early Shaker tunes and texts.
- Music History/Style Exploration: Listening to/watching a variety of choral performances of Shaker music.
Come along, come join to sing, come to Bethlehem's manger.
Come to see our heavenly King, now no more a stranger.
Christ has come to lead us on to the land of glory,
He has come so we might know God's salvation story.
Alleluia, come rejoice, Alle, Alleluia,
Alleluia, raise each voice, singing Alleluia.
Christ has come, God's holy Son, to a lowly stable,
So that we might join with him, at his banquet table.
Leave behind all earthly things, never more digressing;
Seek and find this gift of love, greatly worth possessing.